Hi,

Is there a list of breaking changes anywhere? If there are breaking changes, that is. I’m trying to get a sense of how much I will have to re-do for v5.

I’ve modified some of the template files for custom purposes, as well as a few custom blocks (JavaScript) and styles.

Thanks!

https://preview.invisionalpha5.com/topic/171-breaking-changes/

Featured Replies

Thanks.

This one is going to be a BIG problem for my community - as many of them registered with burner emails:

Invision Community
No image preview

Display Name for Login

The ability to use a display name as a log in is deprecated and will be removed. Using an email address as part of the log in process is more secure than using a publicly visible display name.

Can this not remain as an option that admins get to determine?

58 minutes ago, Mick79 said:

Thanks.

This one is going to be a BIG problem for my community - as many of them registered with burner emails:

Invision Community
No image preview

Display Name for Login

The ability to use a display name as a log in is deprecated and will be removed. Using an email address as part of the log in process is more secure than using a publicly visible display name.

Can this not remain as an option that admins get to determine?

There is a discussion about on this on Invision Community already, feel free to chime in but considering it’s an implementation to enhance security for your community, I don’t see the decision being reversed. It would be ideal for you to get on the front foot and advise your members of the changes, perhaps by creating an announcement.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/477974-what-will-you-do-when-display-name-for-login-gets-removed/

2 hours ago, Gary said:

There is a discussion about on this on Invision Community already, feel free to chime in but considering it’s an implementation to enhance security for your community, I don’t see the decision being reversed. It would be ideal for you to get on the front foot and advise your members of the changes, perhaps by creating an announcement.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/477974-what-will-you-do-when-display-name-for-login-gets-removed/

Thanks, I have just done this.

While I understand the intention behind it, I think removing it as an option is a bit short-sighted.

I’ll go to that thread and contribute there, cheers.

Still against this as I was at the initial announcement. Many members (1000’s) who registered on my site from 2004 onwards will not have active emails.

It’s not like its needed either, the likes of Twitter, Instagam and Reddit still allow username login.

Edited by marklcfc

The email doesn’t need to be “active” for logins to work, so burner emails or expired emails/domains will work fine for existing members.

But when it comes to participating in a community, having an active email is a huge benefit (password resets, email notifications, etc). The migration from usernames to emails for logins is a nice reminder for your members to make sure their account details up to date, which is never a bad thing.