For people who are stuck with say, iPhone 6s and Chrome v93.0.4577.39

It loads the site but tapping on any of the buttons and links doesn’t do anything. This would keep out many users out of community which would be a bummer.

Please make it backwards compatible for Chrome.

Featured Replies

Hello,

Visually, does the site look okay?

I have no idea why links wouldn’t work on iOS 13, since they’re just regular HTML links. Is it every link?

If you’re able to elaborate on any of that (maybe with screenshots or videos) that would be great :)

Actually, iPhone 6S supports iOS 15.8.3, released just 2 months ago on July 29, so I would recommend upgrading to that first to see if it’s fixed. 🀝

On 9/30/2024 at 2:40 AM, Ehren said:

Actually, iPhone 6S supports iOS 15.8.3, released just 2 months ago on July 29, so I would recommend upgrading to that first to see if it’s fixed. 🀝

It is already too slow on iOS 13.5 and would literally brick the phone with any further upgrades and so stopped upgrading (but the phone is still pristine and looks brand new due to Apple’s quality of products and the last release with the headphone jack πŸ˜€). I know a few other people too who own 6s and stopped upgrading after v13 due to this issue. Mobile traffic on sites is over 65% these days and this could potentially keep out many users out of v5 who are stuck with older phones.

Burnt fingers on previous iPhone by upgrading every iOS release that made it completely unusable as the old hardware cannot cope with more fat added to the O/S. It’s Apple’s way of planned obsolescence and becoming a multi-trillion dollar company ☹️

I’ll send you more details and screenshots soon…

On 10/1/2024 at 10:42 AM, WebCMS said:

It is already too slow on iOS 13.5 and would literally brick the phone with any further upgrades and so stopped upgrading

As someone who works with mobile devices daily in their proper job, I can tell you that the iPhone 6S won’t literally brick as a result of upgrading it to iOS 15 as I’m currently working with a stubborn customer who won’t replace their old hardware with newer hardware, and wants to eek as much out of their aging devices as much as possible. They’re bang out of luck on their next security review though.

Can anyone else reproduce this? Can you do a screen recording to show us? If you are using Chrome v93 on desktop, can you show us the contents of the console so we can see any errors?

I have 2 iPhones - a 6s and a 14. I kept 6s instead of trading it because of its unique design, rounded corners, curved screen, headphone jack, 3D touch, TouchID and more and it was the last release with these features. Plus it is in pristine condition. I used to use it for playing music into a Bluetooth speaker but recently, its BT is broken and Apple quoted $300 to install new BT.

The issue of not able to upgrade to iOS 15 has something to do with the first batch of phones when a new version of iPhone is launched which get dated sooner than the batches of phones that get sold a few months after release. Maybe Apple is silently upgrading some hardware in their later batches of phones as months go by or their newer version updates of iOS is not cleaning up old files and leaving too many outdated files behind causing these first batch of phones to choke and brick faster (a vanilla installation of Windows creates over quarter-million files, how many of them get cleaned up with future updates we don’t know). There was a comment on Apple forums about these first batch of phones bricking sooner back in iPhone 4 and 5 days. My 6s is the fist batch (purchased as preorder), now on iOS 13.5 and too sluggish with poor response on screen taps. I’ve seen some people upgraded to their 6s to iOS 14 who said they purchased them a few months after their release.

In poorer countries, many people don’t have computers. All they have is an Android phone which is their pocket computer. Most of them cannot afford to upgrade to newer versions and are stuck with older hardware and apps and IC v5 needs to support older browsers; otherwise these users would get locked out of IC v5. Chrome v93 would manifest similar behaviors on iOS or Android and users of both O/S would have similar issues using Chrome v93.

Check out the attached screenshot and video (play the video in FULL SCREEN mode). You could buy a 6s with iOS 13 or an Android phone with Chrome v93 dirt cheap to test it out.

Forums - Invision Community 5.png

Edited by WebCMS

@WebCMS I think this is because the iPhone 6s does not support CSS pseudo-classes such as "is" or "where" and other newer standards such as "color-mix", "oklch", "calc" and so on.

https://caniuse.com/css-matches-pseudo

https://caniuse.com/mdn-css_selectors_where

Can you show what v4 looks like?

Even though v5 uses very modern CSS code, care has been taken to ensure old devices can still render everything correctly thanks to fallback code. With that said, if the operating system on these devices purposely isn’t being upgraded, it becomes incredibly tough to start supporting them. The usage of iOS 13 is only 0.01% according to β€œCanIUse”, and I wasn’t even able to find a used 6S which was running iOS 13 on any marketplace website in my country, so this is most definitely a very uncommon situation.

During development, I’ve been testing v5 using a Macbook Air from early 2015 (before the iPhone 6S was even announced) and it’s working great. I believe your iPhone 6S would also do the same if you were to upgrade, since iOS 15 comfortably handles v5. I agree that v5 could look a little more presentable for vintage operating systems, but I can’t make any promises that everything will work (CSS isn’t the only culprit here, we’re also using modern JS and new HTML elements too).

On 10/7/2024 at 7:06 AM, Mat said:

@WebCMS I think this is because the iPhone 6s does not support CSS pseudo-classes such as "is" or "where" and other newer standards such as "color-mix", "oklch", "calc" and so on.

https://caniuse.com/css-matches-pseudo

https://caniuse.com/mdn-css_selectors_where

Can you show what v4 looks like?

v4 works fine on Chrome v93 and iOS 13.5; otherwise, I would have reported this long ago even before v5.

If you want screenshots and video, I can upload them.

On 10/8/2024 at 10:10 PM, Ehren said:

Even though v5 uses very modern CSS code, care has been taken to ensure old devices can still render everything correctly thanks to fallback code. With that said, if the operating system on these devices purposely isn’t being upgraded, it becomes incredibly tough to start supporting them. The usage of iOS 13 is only 0.01% according to β€œCanIUse”, and I wasn’t even able to find a used 6S which was running iOS 13 on any marketplace website in my country, so this is most definitely a very uncommon situation.

During development, I’ve been testing v5 using a Macbook Air from early 2015 (before the iPhone 6S was even announced) and it’s working great. I believe your iPhone 6S would also do the same if you were to upgrade, since iOS 15 comfortably handles v5. I agree that v5 could look a little more presentable for vintage operating systems, but I can’t make any promises that everything will work (CSS isn’t the only culprit here, we’re also using modern JS and new HTML elements too).

Users are not aware what tech is being used behind the screens. They just want the app to work without getting locked out of v5.

Is it not possible to alter rendering older versions of CSS, JS etc based on user-agent’s version that works on those older browsers? Older versions may have bigger page size and slow but they work for those users.

I’ve downloaded an old version of Xcode (which has an iOS 13 simulator) onto the 2015 MacBook Air and I can see the culprit in the code. I’ll do my best to make it more functional on older software πŸ˜…πŸ€