Welcome to the final Alpha release of Invision Community 5!

Happy Lets Go GIF by Holler Studios

Itā€™s the final alphaā€¦

Yes, that time has finally come. Two alphas after the last time I said this. But this time I mean it! If you want to know what was changed, the release notes are here. Weā€™ve now moved the Bug Tracker to our support forums ahead of the beta, so please report any issues there.

The hold up was due to an optimisation branch to reduce what was a silly amount of queries per page. We wanted this to go into an alpha as thereā€™s a lot of changes, and we didnā€™t want the first beta to be obviously broken. It doesnā€™t set the right vibe. šŸ« 

Why so many alphas?

Iā€™ve seen this question pop up a lot, and itā€™s a valid question. Weā€™re on Alpha 16. Thatā€™s a pretty big number. We started releasing alphas 14 weeks ago, so weā€™ve averaged just over 1 release a week. Does this mean that itā€™s been a really bad process and something has gone terribly wrong? Absolutely not! Version 5 has a brand new UI, brand new CSS, loads of new and rewritten JS, loads of new features, a new editor, a new page builder, and so on. Thatā€™s a lot to not only test to make sure there are no bugs, but also in terms of feedback from testers. Weā€™ve made a lot of changes over the past 14 weeks based on that feedback. We also decided to make sure we kept releasing alphas as often as we could. We didnā€™t want to wait 3-4 weeks before each release.

When we move to beta, it is to signal the end of new features, large refactors and any potential u-turns or revisions to existing new features. We want beta to just be about bugs, bugs, bugs and not introducing new ones by adding surprise new features.

In terms of stability, I am completely confident that you could use this alpha on your production community and be totally fine. I know this because weā€™re using it on a few private sites internally.

You may consider an alpha to be a raw and largely untested piece of software, but with Invision Community 5 it is not the case. Itā€™s very polished and very well tested already so weā€™re hoping for a very short beta testing phase. Itā€™s more akin to an early ā€˜release candidateā€™ than rough and ready product to be beaten into shape.

We could have released 6 alphas and 8 betas, the labels arenā€™t that important.

Now is the time to move into beta though as all the heavy lifting and major testing has been completed.

Iā€™ll do a wrap up blog post on our main site to review a few newish features that we havenā€™t announced yet (but youā€™ve been using here for ages now).

Thanks for your patience. šŸ‘

https://preview.invisionalpha5.com/topic/202-alpha-16-released-beta-next-week/

Featured Replies

12 hours ago, David. said:

releasing a Beta with a minimal upgrade testing just before the weekend would be a ballsy move

blue balls bouncing GIF

Itā€™s about to be released. ā˜ ļø

1 hour ago, Matt said:

blue balls bouncing GIF

Itā€™s about to be released. ā˜ ļø

The weekend has landed

All that exists now is bugs, complaints and support tickets.

I've got 48 hours off from the world, man.
I'm gonna blow steam out my head like a screaming kettle

We're gonna get more spaced out than Neil Armstrong ever did

@Mat Well, I decided to go with Invision Community, and I purchased a license yesterday.

1. I couldn't find a way to edit the original files of the theme (CSS, JS, templates).

2. Where can I add prefixes for forums and downloads?

Thanks