I’m playing around with Pages on my instance, and noticed a new ‘Table of Contents’ widget, which I assume is a way to offer a structured navigation block similar to Wikipedia (please correct me if I’m wrong!). With that in mind, I’m trying to add it to an existing page record and am having trouble getting it to load up.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 11.12.29.png

^ That’s how it appears in Page Editor, but when all is set up and the page is refreshed, the block never appears.

Is this widget triggered by a particular element in the main content area that needs to be present? For example, does it seek H2 headers and dynamically build a Table of Contents from that, or is this simply an unfinished widget for now? The page in question has a number of H2 headers as ‘segments’ for the page, and it doesn’t appear to be working.

Featured Replies

The short answer is it’s 20% half unfinished ☺️. You currently have to exit the page editor, then you can choose individual titles on each page and configure the indent level of the Table of Contents entry.

We plan on auto-generating the default ToC so it’s a bit more obvious that it works, as well as adding more helpful descriptions. There are also a few bugs where the contents don’t work when, for example, the content is on a different page that we’ll be sure to sort. (Also looks like it doesn’t work straight out of the page editor anymore)

37 minutes ago, Matt F said:

The short answer is it’s 20% half unfinished ☺️. You currently have to exit the page editor, then you can choose individual titles on each page and configure the indent level of the Table of Contents entry.

<span class="ipsAttachLink_box"><span class="ipsAttachLink_title">Screen Recording 2024-08-09 at 8.50.56 AM.mp4</span><span class="ipsAttachLink_metaInfo"> <span>7.6 MB</span> <span>·</span> <span>0 downloads</span></span></span>

We plan on auto-generating the default ToC so it’s a bit more obvious that it works, as well as adding more helpful descriptions. There are also a few bugs where the contents don’t work when, for example, the content is on a different page that we’ll be sure to sort. (Also looks like it doesn’t work straight out of the page editor anymore)

Holy smokes, that’s an even better implementation than I imagined. Amazing work Matt F! I’m guessing the “+” buttons and other icons that pop up over the titles in your video there is not yet fully implemented into the current alpha (Alpha 8) as I’m not getting those buttons to appear on my instance… unless there’s some button/right click function I’m missing.

Right now in v4 I can use HTML anchors to create my own TOC in the body of the article, as below. Will I continue to be able to do that in v5 without the HTML editing? I don’t want to place the TOC in the side column as the side column is used for ads.

LogicPro11 c06- 35.jpg