Widgets and block manager/page editor have seen a refreshing design in v5. I like to suggest an idea that can be very useful in where exactly to display them.

Issue: Currently when a widget added to the page, for example block added to Pages’ Database or Download’ home page, etc… it also being shown in all nested categories and nodes. it is a common request from some of my customers to make modification about this, so they could display a certain widget in certain page. for example display a widget only in FrontPage and not the nested nodes. or display a widget only in certain node…

Example: display Review Blocks for download section, separate for each category

Suggestions:

1. One solution is for example, in Visibility tab when editing a widget:

Display this widget in: [default: Parent and all nodes | Only nodes | Only this node/page > (choose)]

Screenshot 2024-08-10 115000.jpg

This can solve all widget placement issues for good, however admin with a lot of categories may end up with very long list of blocks to manage. for such websites, another solution can work:

2. Another suggestion for this issue is having new option about where the feed can be fetched. something like: Fetch from present category

Screenshot 2024-08-10 3.jpg

While it is not does an specific job with the first suggestion, but it can solve issue with adding just one block to the page for most users in my experience. it should work similar to current “Similar Contents“ widget, which uses tags as source of fetching it’s content (and won’t display if there is no tag). it can be add to the page one time but instead of fetching content from specific category or all categories, this block fetch contents from present category. display latest reviews with all of it’s settings, in a category that user are visiting at the moment.

https://preview.invisionalpha5.com/topic/85-widget-display/

Featured Replies

I basically suggest the same thing here, but in a more convoluted way I suppose 😅

https://preview.invisionalpha5.com/topic/79-page-editor-can-we-tell-widgets-to-ignore-certain-pages-in-a-nodeapp/#comment-255

Good to know it’s being thought about!

Edited by Dreadknux