Iโ€™m sure you already know this, but the performance of the Emoji picker in this TipTap editor is atrocious. Iโ€™m sure you implemented this in PHP server-side and the reason it is so bad right now, is the IPS Cloud suffers times where it is slow to react.

The obvious solution is to implement this dialog dropdown as a React component written purely in Javascript (or with as little PHP interactions as possible).

I thought Iโ€™d mention this here, just in case you arenโ€™t working on this yet.

Edited by KT Walrus

Featured Replies

It actually is managed completely by js and a json index for searchability. The only exception being the custom emoticons which have to be loaded from the DB/cache, but it's still the JS generating and managing it.

The reason it's actually slow is because the browser takes a while to render thousands of images all at once in the current grid view (yeah, emojis and fa icons are technically characters but it's still an image at the end of the day).

I've done very thorough timing and profiling locally to be certain, but one bit of evidence is the : menu for emojis loading almost instantly even though it uses the same underlying code, limited to 20 elements. Furthermore, if I add an additional step on my developer site to hide all icons in the toolbar drop-down except the first 20 before adding the HTML to the document, it also appears just about instantly despite loading all the same data.

Nevertheless, like Matt said we are working on making that more snappy and instant.

• 1 month later...

It is much better for me. But your Cloud service is often very slow to respond to user requests, even on your site. Maybe that is causing the delays you are seeing?

Invision Community
No image preview

The scalable creator and customer community platform

Yes, I think it's because of too many emojis. The first opening takes 3 seconds but the next ones open quickly (immediately).

Matt, will it be possible to control which emoji to show? 90% are not used by my users.