I absolutely love the new Featured system, many thanks for all your hard work with it. I wanted to bring up some suggestions for your consideration, based on my playing around with it. Nothing is ultimately very pressing or important for 5.0 (except for the last one maybe), but I thought it might be worth getting IPS team thoughts on the below for future revisions/enhancements to the feature.

1. Re-Promote Content Items

At present, you can only promote a content item once. In V4, you had the option to ā€œre-promoteā€ content (although that came at the cost of deleting the original promotion), but this option appears to be gone in V5 Alpha 8, with only ā€œUnfeatureā€ listed (which I think is a good option to have, actually). But alongside ā€˜Unfeatureā€™, maybe offer the ability to re-promote? A use case example could be, the re-promotion of an old (two-year-old) news Pages record, to coincide with some current event. I like having an ā€œarchiveā€ of featured items, so I wouldnā€™t want to delete any existing promotions unless I specifically ask to do so.

2. Auto-Promote (for Pages)

It would be great to have an option at the Pages database level (with category override) to have new records auto-promoted to the Featured page, if possible. Maybe for other apps across the suite too, but for Pages I think would be most useful.

3. Categories

This would be useful for Page block-building (admins could build a Featured Content block that specifically targets items a particular category), but could also help organise Featured content in a way that admins could make sense of. Ties in a bit with the next suggestion.

4. Filter on the Featured Content homepage

Similar to how there is a content filter on Tag pages, it would be great for users to be able to dynamically filter out featured items (by content type would be useful, but there could also be an option to allow users to filter by custom Featured Categories as per suggestion #3 above too)

5. Clearer identifier as to what is being locally featured and what is being sent to Featured Content

This one is more immediately actionable based on the status of V5, but basically we have content across the Alpha 8 instance that can be ā€œFeaturedā€ (such as Clubs) but wonā€™t appear on the Featured Content homepage. I donā€™t know if the Clubs thing is a bug or something, but it would be good to know if a content will be featured just on the local app or if it will be sent to the global suite Featured Content page (and perhaps, a sub-suggestion - offer an option for admins to choose whether they want to just feature something locally or send to Featured Content, or both).

Many thanks for all the epically hard work you guys are all putting in for this!!!

https://preview.invisionalpha5.com/topic/97-featured-content-suggestions/

Featured Replies

1: Re-promote would be tricky given the DB schema, but we could do a ā€œbumpā€ feature where it updates the time it was promoted so it appears near the top again.

2: Iā€™ve always been resistant to ā€œauto promoteā€ because I think itā€™ll probably be abused and ideally Featured would be curated content, and not just another RSS-like feed of a pages DB. Even on our news blog, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d ā€˜featureā€™ everything.

3: Yeah nice idea

4: Yeah, could be useful but I wouldnā€™t want to push categorisation too much because the whole idea of featured is to bring stuff from all over into one place.

5: Hmm. Featuring a club is not the same system as featuring content. We should probably change the labelling to prevent confusion. Perhaps ā€œPinned Clubsā€ or something.